Saturday, October 20, 2012

Home from the Hospital

Things kept getting worse, and I landed in the hospital for a few days, feeling horribly sick, and my head pressure/fuzziness completely out of control. We found some meds that helped, and I'm resting at home now. My doc says he doesn't think Tysabri is an option after this, which leaves us nearly out of options. I have a meeting with him on Monday to try and decide on a new plan. Honestly, I am so frustrated with all of this, that I'm ready to just do nothing for awhile and see what happens.

My neurologist wants to send me to mayo clinic or somewhere else for a second opinion. I'm really grateful my doc is honest about the fact that we've sort of hit a dead end here, but it leaves me back at square one, searching for a neurologist who knows how to handle my case. It's a familiar-feeling nightmare! They have already sent the referral over to Mayo, but honestly, I had a really bad experience there last December, so I'm pretty nervous about it. In fact, the worst experience I had in trying to find a doctor was at Mayo. I'd really like to find somewhere else, but most docs won't have the slightest clue what to do with my case. I've been trying to do some research into other options, but so far I'm not having any luck.

In the past couple months I have met a handful of friends online who also have Tumefactive MS. Some of them are actually on chemotherapy, which we have discussed as a last resort treatment for me. I just don't know if I want to hit this so aggressively when we are not confident of the diagnosis....And the only way to be confident is to wait for some insane, telling symptom, or to do a biopsy, which could paralyze something. What would anyone do in this situation? It's an impossible spot to be in.

Looking forward to the strategy meeting on Monday, although ultimately, next steps are going to be my choice, and I have no idea what is best.... Praying for answers. Hopefully clear ones!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Mandy. What a nightmare. I hope you can find some peace as you await further options. Love ya, girl! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has to be some doctor that can help you, right? This must all be so frustrating for you. I am so so sorry you have to go through this. What about Boston, New York?? There has to be someone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, I too have tumefactive MS. Go to St Joes. They are the best. Sadly Dr. Bomprizza isn't there any longer but the team knows what to do. I had the plasma (i can't spell it) too and have done copaxane and tysbari. I devolped a reaction to the Tsybari so I can never do that agin. I did do the chemo but it was in the hospital and only for 3 sessions. They rotated chemo and plasma. I think Dr. B said it was rotoxin(cant spell). Don''t give up!! I had a rough start in the begining but now I'm maintaining.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, you are in AZ??? Wow, I don't know anyone else here with Tumefactive MS. I actually DO work with St. Joe's/Barrow, and I work with Dr. Okuda, who is/was Dr. Bomprezzi's partner. I didn't know that Dr. Bomprezzi left, actually. Can you email me? I would love to discuss this more...thanks so much for saying HI and sharing these suggestions! My email address is mandyclive@gmail.com

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete