Sunday, November 4, 2012

New Diagnosis Suggestion

Last week I met with an internist from MD Anderson. He is just an internist, but he has access to the neuro-radiologists who specialize in looking at Tumors and Lymphoma. The doctor wasn't especially helpful or hopeful that he could help solve anything, but he did have the radiologist look at my scans and give an opinion. The radiologist says he doesn't think it looks like a tumor or a lymphoma. Or MS. That is potentially GREAT news, but it is also very confusing.

From day one, every doctor and every radiologist has had a different opinion about this; some of them are confident it looks like MS, some emphatically say it's not MS, one radiologist says it looks most like lymphoma, the hospital docs wanted to do a biopsy because they thought it looked more like cancer than MS...so confusing as the patient! Obviously, whatever it is, its unusual. I feel like I have to be the doctor, I have to decide who is right and how to proceed, and it's very overwhelming.

The good news is that the radiologist did have a recommendation for a possible diagnosis we can look into. He wants to look for a vascular malformation, like an AVM (arteriovascular malformation). An AVM is a "tangle" or mass of abnormal blood vessels in the brain. AVMs occur in less than 1% of people. It is often treated with surgery, embolization, or Gamma Knife (radiosurgery). For anyone who wants to know more about AVM, you can google it, or you can look at one of these links: http://neurosurgery.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=110 or http://www.irsa.org/avms.html If this is what it is, it would be challenging because it is in the motor strip, and surgery or gamma knife, or embolization would likely be impossible. I'm not sure. They have a scale for grading these vascular "tumors" and depending on the grade, they may not have to treat at all. More details about that are included in the links above.

Although an AVM isn't simple, it was an interesting experience for someone to even suggest something like this. From day one, I have been told this was most likely the type of disease that would change my life forever, or possibly take my life. Now here is a doctor suggesting a disease that isn't progressively debilitating and recurring like MS, and isn't usually life-threatening like a lymphoma or a tumor. I didn't even know how to take that at first, and as I continued to process what I was feeling, I realized that this is the first time I have been given any reason to hope that there might be a way out of this. What a sweet, unexpected, liberating feeling. I realize it could be dangerous and disappointing to hope for a thing like this, but honestly, every emotion in the past year has been the unfounded result of sheer speculation. So when for once, the speculation is a hopeful one, why not grab onto it and feel it for as long as possible?! It may be ripped away as quickly as it was given, but this honestly feels like a speck of warm sunshine creeping into the arctic. It is the first time i have been allowed to consider something hopeful, and it's a relief to feel that, even if it's temporary. Nobody has ever offered me a possibility that had a happy ending. So for today, I am hoping. Truly hoping. Not just for a less-than-tragic outcome, but truly for a happy and healthy outcome.

Tomorrow I have a special type of MRI to look for a vascular malformation like this. Reasons it is unlikely include the fact that I have oligoclonal bands in my spinal fluid, the fact that I have had an unremarkable venogram in the past, and the fact that I have been sick for a year. But whatever this is, it's unusual. So why not be an unusual AMV? I'm crossing my fingers.

I won't get results of this MRI until next Monday (November 12th), when I meet with the internist again. I'll be sure to give an update. Still looking into options for a new doctor to follow my case. If this AVM things turns out to be right, that would make things 1,000 times simpler. I think....  ;)

Mandy

6 comments:

  1. A straight forward answer would be so wonderful! Keep your faith and you will get this figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll be hoping and praying for you, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Find the narrow gate that leads to life.
    It is called the NOW.” – Echkart Tolle, The Power of Now

    The ups and downs of a nonspecific medical diagnosis offer a cruel serving of bitter medicine; a relentlessly terrifing roller coaster ride of extremes. While I am, for just a moment happy to hear there is a possibility that provides hope- I worry for you because I know how scary it is to ride up knowing there is potential for crashing down.

    The best solice in my humble opinion is living in the now. If this moment provides ease in finding things to be greatful for, I am thankful for that.

    Sending hopeful, grounding waves of friendship~

    Kim

    Mindfulness is about embracing the now, good and bad. It is about loving and embracing the goodness in the life you have.-Richard Fields

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy,
    What a roller coaster. I love your description of allowing a bit of sunshine. I remember having the same feeling: "What if I get excited and it doesn't work out?" But I soon realized I'd have plenty of time to feel down later if things really did turn south, so why not capitalize on feelings of hopefulness when you have them?

    November 1st was my two-year anniversary of my first ever MRI. I hope your second year of this journey brings some "aha!" from some doctor somewhere.

    You're amazing. You have a strong support network and you're going to thrive.

    -jen kurtz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

    Kim, you are exactly right!! "A cruel serving of bitter medicine; a relentlessly terrifing roller coaster ride of extremes." I couldn't say it better myself! And you are right about the potential for a dangerous crash-down....it's definitely a risk that I am trying to balance. Thank you for your sweet and thoughtful comments. You have been such a great friend and support to me through this all!

    Jen, I can't believe it's been two years for you! I am really glad that things have been improving in your world, and really hope they continue to! Thanks so much for your comments, and your support. Praying for you, and watching your blog often!

    Mandy


    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read your latest posts. Wow. This journey continues to be full of surprises at every turn. Best of luck to you in the coming days, Mandy. I'm thinking of you and hope you get some promising answers on Monday. I'll be watching for your update.

    ReplyDelete