Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day Three Plasmapheresis

Today I did much better with the plasmapheresis. I took Tylenol, zofran, and a large infusion of fluids before starting, and I think it really helped.

I had to get a new IV today, and strangely, it started gushing blood everywhere. Might have been the anticoagulants, or my lowering platelet counts, but blood was gushing out everywhere. The poor nurse was already stressed about getting my line in because I'm a hard stick, and I think the whole experience shook her up a little. I didn't love it either!

We did another brain MRI today; a more advanced kind. Docs wouldn't say specifically what we are looking for (my doc is out of town for two days!) but I assume general progress. Still checking blood sugars, sadly. They did a PT evaluation on me; they are trying to be sure I don't lose all the progress I've already made with my walking and balance.

I decided to be really morbid today and watch the plasmapheresis lady change the dressing on my neck tubes. I couldn't resist. So I saw the tubes diving down through a hole in my flesh, saw the stitches keeping them in place....pretty intense! But fascinating if I can forget it's my neck!

I got to hang out with Tara (Schlappi) Bodrero today, and had a great time! She braved the blood treatments, kept me entertained, and we watched a movie, it was so much fun! I also got to see my mom and sisters and Shannon Sowby, which was great! It was actually a pretty good day today. Hoping tomorrow will be just as good!

Mandy

1 comment: