Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Neurosurgeon Consult and new MRI

I met with a nurosurgeon yesterday for a biopsy consult. I also had an MRI, so it was a busy day.

Dr. Nakaki (the neurosurgeon) says this is definitely a suspicious lesion, and that a biopsy may be the only way to really know what it is. He says every time he looks at it (he's been in the loop since January), he's tempted to get a piece of it so we can know for sure. But he said we still need to keep a biopsy as a last resort because its in a very bad spot, deep in my brain, in an area that I use every day. Getting a piece of it could cause permanent damage. He is going to talk to my neurologist and see what they both think, and at what point we should decide this is suspicious enough to risk the biopsy. We may actually be to that point, since we've been waiting six months for this to improve, and its only gotten worse. Sadly, the MRI happened after our meeting, so we couldn't discuss it, but the surgeon promised to pull it up and take a look at it before consulting with my neurologist.

He did explain the biopsy process and protocol. He showed me the size of sample he would take...about 1/4 the size of what he normally takes, he said. It will come right out of my "motor strip" so they would have to work with a smaller sample. The surgeon said one of the biggest risks of any biopsy is not getting any answers. But he said in my case he actually feels pretty confident we'd get an answer. Not sure why he feels that way, but I hope he's right!

We haven't made any decisions yet. He and my neurologist are going to collaborate on next steps. I did look at my MRI films when I got home though. I'm no radiologist, but its pretty clear that not much has improved, if anything. It is still enhancing strongly with contrast (this should have resolved about five months ago), and the primary (39mm) lesion actually looks like it's grown. But that could just be the positioning of the MRI cuts. I'll have to wait and see what the official report is.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers, suggestions, and support. It really does help. I'll post an update after next week's appointment with my neurologist. Until then, I am praying hard that I will feel what the best steps are...there are too many factors involved here, and despite all my research...nothing about my case makes sense. My doctor is one of the chief neurologists at Barrow's and even he is baffled by all of this. Whatever step we take next is our best guess at the right thing. So for everyone who believes in prayer....please pray that my doctor's and I will be guided in the right direction, and that we will feel peace about it.

Love and thanks to all!

Mandy

3 comments:

  1. Here's a question: Don't they think all of the masses are made out of the same stuff? Can they biopsy a different one that's in a less scary place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish! There is only one small one and then the giant enhancing one. They want a piece of the big one. Sadly. And they need it from the center where its enhancing the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you in my prayers, Mandy. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete